Now that we have the nitty-gritty out of the way, let’s dive into the job sites and job boards to find any employee—or any job, if you’re reading this as a job seeker.
The following are the best job search sites on the internet, including some of the smaller niche job boards needed when hiring for specific roles or talent.
We profiled a number of types of job boards, picking our “favorite” in each category.
How We Picked Our Favorite Job Sites
In each section, we chose a favorite job board. We know it’s frustrating to see anything listed as the “#1 best” without any background knowledge.
We used three criteria in picking our favorite job boards and here they are.
- Usability: This means how easy and functional it is to use for both job seekers and employers.
- Industry Specificity: This describes how the job site appeals to the employer and job seeker in that specific industry.
- Knowledge Base: This third criterion is our favorite. It describes the articles, blogs, and resources available to job seekers and to employers looking to gain or fill employment, respectively.
The Best Big Job Boards
The following job boards are the biggest ones on the web, and you probably already know them by name from podcasts, Superbowl ads, or your own past job searches.
Many of these job search juggernauts have been around since the internet was a much smaller place. As a result, they have the experience and knowledge on both sides of the hiring front.
In the twenty or so years since the advent of the digital job search engine, they have made vast improvements. It's not uncommon for a job database to also have company reviews, advanced filters, salary data, company profiles, resume builders, career advice, and even a mobile app. Whew!
You already know ZipRecruiter
, but we want to let you know why we love it. ZipRecruiter
is always improving the hiring process—on both the employer's and candidate’s sides. Their software is the quickest and most seamless way to get your job noticed by the very best applicants.
- How It Works: ZipRecruiter allows employers to post to multiple free job boards with a single submission. Its powerful software helps to vet all applicants and set up online interviews.
- Why We Love It: ZipRecruiter is a powerful way to manage the entire hiring process—from writing the job post to scheduling an interview.
- Cost: Subscription-based and needs-based pricing for employers, free for job seekers.
- Pro Tip: Their employer tool, Invite to Apply, allows employers to automatically send a pre-written, personal message to favorite eligible candidates so they’re more likely to apply to the open role listed.
Other Big Job Boards
The Best Free Job Boards
Free job sites sound great, right? Sure, but that’s not the entire story.
While most job boards and job sites are free for job seekers, there’s typically a cost for employers. So why wouldn’t an employer just post to a free job board every time?
Find an employer who hires often and you’ll see exactly why. That old adage, “You get what you pay for” rings especially true when hiring.